Monday 7 May 2012

Neon Vancouver Chinatown

Aloha !

Today was the last day of tutoring for me at Strathcona  before I head off to Hawaii next Monday  !  The kids were so sweet to me and I was presented with a big bouquet of flowers by Betty and the  children this morning . One of my kids gave me a special rock that she found from a North Vancouver beach . She didn't know which beach , only that it was in North Van. That was very sweet of her . It warms my heart tremendously in seeing how far they have each progressed. I have so much fun with them and we laugh a lot during our readings . They all love it when I read to them as I am very animated when I read out loud to children . I know when they are tired and I read for a little while . This also helps them know where to put inflections when they read out loud so as to not sound mono toned. I will miss them very much , but I will be back at Strathcona in Sept /Oct . I promised to send them a post card  before the school year is over . The entire class wanted to come to Hawaii with me , all 24 of them !   It has been such a rewarding experience being a volunteer Literacy tutor. If anyone of you are interested out there in doing this , look up One to One Literacy . There are many schools that you can volunteer at. You will be gifting a child with the powerful gift of literacy. You will be helping them by fostering the great joys of reading , understanding , and continuously learning . This can open up so many doors for the children and help them dream and grow beyond their Life circumstances. We are all bigger than our circumstances.

While walking through Chinatown on my way to meet my dear friend Julie for lunch , a street artist was selling his art from his van .  Look him up : ' Laughing Hands.'   Keith McKellar .  Well heck, here's his website :   http://www.laughinghand.com/home.html

Very interesting man . Very interesting Life story. I talked to him for quite a while . He does line drawings of neon signs of old buildings and restaurants of Vancouver Chinatown. Some of the buildings do not exist anymore. I bought 3 of his coloured prints . One was of B.C. Royal Restaurant , the other was of Ho Ho Chop Suey Restaurant  , and the last one was of White Lunch Restaurant . They were all purchased for sentimental reasons , my memories of the 70's . My Mom and Dad used to go to B.C. Royal . Well, all us kids did too. All the old timers called it B.C. Loy-loo , as they could not pronounce ' r' s. ' That is an Asian thing, mind you, this challenge of saying the letter ' r .'  Chinatown was so different back in the  70's . It was so very busy,  vibrant and full of neon signs . It was the place, and the only place to go if you want Chinese food , real Chinese food. My uncle worked at White Lunch when he first immigrated to Canada from Hong Kong back in the 70's . White Lunch was across from Woodwards . Neither place exists now.

There were drawings of the Only Cafe , Ovaltine Cafe  , Balmoral Hotel, Hong Kong Cafe, Save On Meats , Classical Joint , and many more. His website does not do his drawings justice . You really have to see them in person to fully appreciate the tremendous detail in his drawings. He has my e-mail and I am sure he will contact me . He told me that I gave him great karma as his business was very brisk once I came along . I went back twice.  Keith McKellar will be having an art show at Sun Yat Sen Gardens on Sept, 8th . Depending on my schedule, I may volunteer to help him with his show . He is also a really good writer too and you will see excerpts of his writings on his website. He has also written a book called Neon Eulogy, which is a homage to the neon signs of Vancouver past . I am a believer of supporting street musicians and artists. Keith is really good in his art and writing . Willie , my dear dear friend , you draw like Keith . Those of us who know Willie know what I am talking about. Miss you lots, Willie ! I hope you are still drawing lots for you are talented, my friend !

Thank you all for your e-mails and well wishes for my adventure to Kalani. I feel so much love from all of you.  Mahalo . I love you all dearly . Very very much so. 

Six days and counting ! I have to start thinking of what to pack ! I am bringing only one suitcase and my paints and paint brushes will take up much space. There is no art supply store where I am going , not even in Hilo , which is about 55 minutes away from Kalani.

Aloha,
Carpe diem !
x0x0x0x0x0
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment