Wednesday 2 May 2012

Emily Carr , Canada's first Hippie

Aloha !

A month ago, I was in the North Vancouver Library , researching Emily Carr and a few other painters for a class assignment ,  when an elderly man who breathing heavy , huffing and puffing, trying to catch his breath , knelt down beside me . He got down on his hands and knees and was looking at the books on the very bottom shelf. I think he walked up the 3 flights of stairs , which was the reason for him being out of breath.That, and also, he was probably in his late 70's too.  He heaved out a thick heavy book and brought it to the table where I had also put my collection of chosen books. I sat down across from him .  He sat down , opened his book ,  peered at me , noticing the art books in front of me . "  Are you a painter? " he asked.  Yes, I am. I love to paint. "  " You got some good ones there . Emily Carr. She's Canada 's first hippie, you know ! "  I laughed . " You are right ! I haven't thought of her in that way, but you are right !  She marched to the beat of a different drummer for sure . She was a real pioneer. She was of the land . "

" Do you paint? "  I asked.  " Yes , " he replied.    " How long have you painted ? "  There was a long pause. " Oh, that long, huh ? "  " Yes, I was just thinking , I started painting in high school  and that was a very very long time ago. "  He pulled some stamps out of a large manila envelope. Aha ! He was a stamp collector .   He gave an occasion groan and the odd whoop now and then as he looked from his stamps to the rapidly flipping pages in front of him .  " Do you have some good ones there? " I asked. "  Yep ! Some , " he smiled.

" You know, I still paint . I only paint when something or someone catches my fancy !  "  He looked at me intently . " You wanna model ? "  I gave him one of my withering looks . There is no subject to interpretation with my look . I did not like the way the conversation changed and I made it clear. His question was most inappropriate . He was old enough to know better.  He quickly changed the subject.  He found what he needed in his book. As he got up to leave, he waved goodbye and said, " See you later,  doll ! "  Since then ( a month ago )  , 2 other men , strangers, have called me ' doll.'  Must be the latest thing for men to call women.   Doll.

Yes, Emily Carr , Canada's first hippie . She would have loved Hawaii ..........Georgia O' Keeffe went to Hawaii . I too, among many other subject matter, will be painting flowers , like Georgia O' Keeffe did when she was in Hawaii......

Aloha !  Carpe Diem !
x0x0x0x0
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment