Friday 25 May 2012

Body percussion and other musical instruments

Aloha !

Kalani is having some internet problems so I haven't written for a few days. And, I was just finish writing this blog when the system crashed and I am starting all over again . :(    Crapola !

Well, I did fall asleep in a hammock on Monday,  on a very hot and sunny day , in partial shade. I  looked in the mirror on Tuesday and I am very tanned. My face is tanned, and so is the rest of me !  So, when I come back home, I will be a dark chocolate brown ! Well, maybe a darkish milk chocolate.

On Monday night , there was a Hawaiian Studies on the Music of Hawaii and Hawaiian Instruments hosted by Leilehua and Manu . They were amazing story tellers and weaved a mighty fine tale of how the hawaiian instruments came to be, along with hula. The ipu , puili sticks, rocks , uli uli , nose flute ( a flute that you play with you nose, fascinating ) and slack key guitar were mentioned, among other instruments. ( I think I named them all . )

The story goes that Captain George Vancouver  gifted the King of Hawaii some cows. At that time, the largest animal was a sheep . The King of Hawaii was so enthralled that no one was allowed to touch the cows. The cows, having no predators ( and also were not eaten as food ) quickly became over populated . The King hired cowboys from Spain and also Mexico to help with the cow problem. The vaqueros brought over their guitars . Well, the Hawaiians became great cowboys and the paniolos learned to also play the guitar, but in their own style. The paniolos loosened the guitar strings to create a deeper base sound and thus, slack key guitar was born !  Manu said that he was often asked what really is the difference between regular guitar sounds and slack key guitar sounds. He said that if you listen carefully, you can hear the beat of the ipu in the background. You can hear ute   u  te  te , ute   u te  te , and variations thereof.  Its true, you can really hear the beat of the ipu in the background of slack key guitar ! How cool is that ?

A few days ago, I was given carte blanche to make a pineapple mango salsa  to go with coconut shrimp. I was given fresh mangoes, pineapple , red onion , parsley and lime . I made a really yummy fresh salsa and people were asking for seconds .  No S & P was required although I was told to put some in . It didn't need any S & P.  The chef agreed . We ran out, unfortunately and some people didn't even have firsts as they came to dinner late.  I made 4 quarts salsa.   Today , I was also given carte blanche to make a minty cucumber salad. I was given cucumbers,  fresh mint , olive oil , brown rice vinegar . S & P  I made a really yummy fresh cucumber salad  and it was also all gone and people were asking for seconds.  I didn't use any pepper,  didn't use any salt , and was asked to use dried dill but I didn't as the dried dill would have added a grainy texture to teh salad and it would no longer taste as fresh.  I love the fresh minimalist recipes . " here's what you can use, make something with it ! "  " Okee dokee ! "  Its not easy to get the chefs to let you make things. I scored a recipe from one of the chefs for Hawaiian Pot Roast and Wasabi Mashed Potatoes with Coconut Cream. I asked Chef gary what makes it Hawaiian , besides the cow being Hawaiian. He rattled off all the ingredients and then said, I will print you my recipe !!!!!  Another one of my favourite chef's name is also Gary. The first time I worked with him was my second shift in the kitchen. He said, " Molly, we have a lot of work ahead and we have 2 meals to knock off . We are down 2 bodies so we have to work extra fast . There might be some swearing  ! "   He made me laugh . That was my best shift so far ! I love working with him .

Went to Uncle Robert's Awa Bar yesterday . ( Kava kava , look it up . )  I ddin't drink any as I am already relaxed and mellow . : ) There was a night market there and a band was also playing. Uncle Roberts is an outdoor bar. Quite neat !  A really favourite hangout. I was there for 2 hours . Its an interesting set up as mere steps ( 3 steps )  from the open bar are picnic tables where children and babies sit with their parents, eating food and there are bottles of alcohol on the table. taht kinda thing would not be allowed in Canada . You don't really know where the bar ends ! :)

It was another beautiful day here at Kalani..........I hope to do a study of the different plants and flowers here.Its just after 10:00 p.m. and has started to rain. It rains heavily through the night , into the early hors of the morning and then is usually beautiful throughout the day.

I'm off to bed . I was on late shift tonight in the kitchen and I am a wee bit tired. All that percussion body slapping for 3 hours this morning and then working the rest of the afternoon into evening . Kami , the Kitchen Manager said to me , " No bruises, Molly ! Don't bruise yourself from all that body percussion ! I can't have you working at Hale Aloha greeting guests with bruises on your body !  Ummm, it won't loom so good.

Yes, I agreed.  So far, I'm a bit red still , but no visible bruising !  Fingers crossed !

With much aloha !
x0x0x0x0
Molly








No comments:

Post a Comment