Monday 21 May 2012

Adjusting myself on Life's Yoga Mat / I have been " promoted ! "

Aloha everyone !

Another beautiful hot sunny here at Kalani . Thank goodness for the trade winds .  My morning yoga class ( Yin Yoga )  was great !  Periodically , one has to adjust  one's body to the different poses . This is what we need to do frequently within our own Lives , the constant adjustments , hence , my blog title ' adjusting myself on Life ' s yoga mat . I have yet to cover myself with a blanket during savasana. That would be the end of me if I did , for the warmth / heat would be unbearable for me. We may as well be doing Bikram yoga ( hot yoga ) for it was surely hot enough today in class.

I attended my first Kalani meeting after breakfast today. Every Monday, all the staff and volunteers , along with Richard , all gather together and we sit and talk , and get informed about what is going on at Kalani . It was great too, as Kalani has a witness box. It is a box that you write down something that you witness that was awesome , something that someone did . It is done anonymously and gets read at the meetings . The meeting is also a time to greet and meet the new volunteers. I go lei'd this morning  , welcomed as a new volunteer ! :)

Right after the Kalani meeting there was a kitchen meeting. Well, I was kinda in la la land and went back to my loft , thinking about what I wanted to do with my day  after yoga. I thought I'd better go and double check my week's schedule , so I headed back up to the Dining Lanai . On the way there, I was reminded that I had missed the kitchen meeting by approx 6 people , to my absolute horror . I had totally forgotten about the kitchen meeting ! :(  Yes, 6 different people told me . You can't hide here at Kalani. Everyone knows everything. Its called the palm tree telephone poles. The palm trees have ears , and as the trade wind passes through their swaying branches , any secrets or discussions are carried around Kalani ........ Seriously though, there are no palm tree telephone poles , I am just figuratively speaking .

After lunch , I was just sitting around the Lanai , sipping my ice tea when Kami asked me to stick around as she wanted to ask me something. Kami is the Kitchen Manager . Kami asked me if I wanted to work at Hale Aloha , which is the first building as you come into Kalani , and is also the reception building . She said, " In your short career here at Kalani ( she made me laugh as I have had only 2 shifts ) I would like to offer you another position . So, folks, yes, I have been  ' promoted  ' !  I will be preparing food for the reception area and doing a bit of reception for the guests . It is primarily sandwiches and stuff  , but I know its going to be fun. I will make a fine receptionist/ greeter ! :)  People already think I am local , so the guests will feel that they are getting the full Aloha experience ! :) There is only a couple of us doing this. I still want to be part of the big kitchen as I want to learn all aspects of its operation . So, training starts this week for me !!!!!  :)

I have dinner duty tomorrow and my shift starts at 1:30 p.m. I have already planned my day for tomorrow.  I will do a morning yoga class at 6:30 - 7:45 a.m. , have breakfast at 8:00 , go to TranZendance at 8:45 - 10:00 , take a Kundalini yoga class at 10:30 to 11:30 , shower , go for lunch at 12:00 , relax a bit and then start my kitchen shift at 1:30 to 8:30 , and then dash off to hula class at 8:30 to 10:00.........It will be a very full day tomorrow !

There is  Hawaiian studies tonight on Hawaii music and instruments which I will be going to. On Friday, there is a band called " Medicine for the People " that is playing at Puna Music Fest  in Puna and I'm going  to that too ! On Saturday ( May 26th ) there will be a concert with a well known and loved singer , Kalnani Kahaunaele , ( I hope I spelled her name right ) and I am going to that too ! The week will go by incredibly fast . Puna Music Fest lasts for 9 days . I am so lucky to experience and enjoy this , to be part of the Hawaiian Ohana .

Its early afternoon and I think I will go take a nap on the hammock . Its too hot in the painting shed to paint.

Have an awesome week,everyone !

With much aloha , Namaste , Shanti......
x0x0x0x0
Molly













No comments:

Post a Comment