Friday 25 May 2012

Hammock Siesta , palm trees swaying above

Aloha !

Well, just finished the workshop " Music from anything " a few hours ago .  It was a lot of fun but I don't think I will remember much of the sequencing of the body slaps/ claps . Anything can be used as a percussion instrument. During lunch, our group went through the kitchen and played human bagpipes. It was funny and weird and creative and wacko , all at the same time. What you do is you squeeze and hold your nose with one hand , and with the other hand, you place that hand across your throat area , like a karate chop. Then you vocalize a music note , while gently hitting your throat  to create a nasal vibrating sound. hence, human bagpipes. Well, we marched through the dining lanai and into the kitchen serving area , each sounding out our nasal notes which Jane, our leader , nasalled out a well know bagpipe song. Something dragoon , can't remember the name, but I know you all know it. The whole thing was fun, bizarre and weird and got a lot of laughs. Yes, try that yourself with some friends. Human bagpipes. :)

 I'm getting the names all confused here as in the last week or so, I have met about 100 people that are either staff or volunteers. I will correct myself as the chef that I thought was named Gary ( there is a chef here named Gary and he is also GREAT ) is actually Mark. Mark Ceranski  I love his candor. He is an amazing chef. He was blowing the conch for lunch today and I was standing beside him . On the first blow , the sound was barely audible . " F @## ! "  he said. On the second blow , it was better but not loud enough. " S**@ ! "  came another word. He is so very funny .  Several days ago, I was told by one of the kitchen people that I had to use a ceramic knife to cut the romaine lettuce as it helps in slowing down the oxidization of the leaves , so they don't go brown as quickly . I would just tear the lettuce leaves frankly , but they have to be cut . " That's just bullshit ! " he said , in regards to the ceramic knives . I agree with him . Please don't go running out to get a ceramic knife to cut lettuce . Its not needed in everyday cooking . Well, I generally do as I 'm told. Usually .

I am enjoying working in the kitchen a lot . It is tiring though as we are literally non stop at a very fast pace . And I mean a very fast pace. We have to do everything . The prepping, cooking, washing all the dishes that we use,  washing all the dishes that the guests/ staff/ volunteers use for mealtime , scrubbing the kitchen floor and mats once a day .  We do get an hour break off during our shift . I will be starting at Hale Aloha tomorrow. It is at a much slower pace and it sounds like that I am a greeter of sorts and serve ice cream and smaller refreshments for the guests. I won't have to tie my hair up in a bandanna nor have to wear close toe shoes at hale Aloha. I can wear basically what I wear everyday , which is a summer dress and flip flops , and of course, a flower in my hair ! :)

There is a fellow named Jim and last week , I noticed that the top of his head was bald , in a perfect circle. I thought it a bit odd as I could have sworn that he had a full head of hair. A very full thick head of hair. The next day , all he had were two thick tuffs of hair , on each side of his head. Sorry, but I laughed when I saw him as he really looked like Bozo the clown. What a goofball. He literally had two thick tuffs of hair. He asked Jay , one of the volunteers to buzz cut it like so. Then the following day, he wore a baseball cap for several days. Now, he has a full shave and it looks better. What a goof ! He did it to get a reaction and he certainly got that . " I thought you were going to try out for clown school " one of the guys said. " I thought maybe I would start a trend "  he replied. " Ha ! Don't think any of the younguns' will copy his hairdittydo !  Crazy !  And then he starts talking about a colon cleanse while I am eating my macaroon  macadamia nut square with chocolate sauce. " Molly's just moving her dessert around her plate with her chocolate sauce . Sorry Moll , shouldn't be talking about this stuff while you're eating . "  Yep. The men here can be most juvenile. I'm not talking about the 20 somethings . These are forty somethings, fifty somethings and then some .

Its another beautiful day here in Kalani......oh, the cooling trade winds......the hammock is calling me ...............would be nice to take an afternoon siesta in the hammock . That is exactly where I am heading right now.

Have an awesome weekend !
Aloha  .....Namaste ......
x0x0x0x0
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment