Thursday 21 June 2012

Spending the Day With Kumu Johnathan

Aloha !

As always, breakfast conversations with the " Mens ' table are  very funny and entertaining . Yesterday , when I was planning to go to Hilo on the county bus , Dominic suggested that I hitchhike . He said that people hitchhike all the time . Sunshine looked at him and said , " Not a good idea. Look at Molly . She's so  purty  she will be picked up for sure . She's too purty to hitchhike. There's bad people out there . Something happened to one of the girls last year that was hitchhiking . Not safe. Now, if you have a mug like me or Dominic , then , yes, go ahead . "  I laughed when he talked about his mug.  I had absolutely no intention of hitchhiking . Those days are way over for me and its not safe, no matter where you are.  I was willing to take the 2 and a half hour bus ride into Hilo .After breakfast ,  I was dashing off to catch the county bus and Johnathan was just sitting down for breakfast. I gave him a good morning hug and told him that I had to run . He asked me where I was off to and I told I was taking my bus adventure into Hilo. Well, it just happened that he was going into town and the sweetheart gave me a ride to Hilo ( and back. ).  I spent the day in Hilo and with Johnathan.

" You don't want to ride the bus, Molly ! There are crazies that get on the bus, and whoowee , they are smelly !  It will take you 2 and a half hours to get to Hilo as the bus stops everywhere . Come, I 'll take you in to town! " said Johnathan. I was so happy !  On the way to Hilo , we passed a lot of hitchhikers. Johnathan looks at them and said , " Sorry , I already have a hitchhiker ! "   referring to me, of course. I smacked him. On the 50 minute ride into Hilo , Johnathan and I learned a lot about each other . He has such a beautiful loving heart and spirit underneath a cool exterior.  A truly beautiful soul. He dropped me off at Prince Kuhio Mall and went to make his leis for a dance competition that was happening in Honolulu this weekend. We met for lunch , he dropped me off by Hilo Bay , I wandered  , he picked me up at Hilo Bay and took me back to Kalani.  He was making leis at his friend's house and was happy as he used me as an alibi to leave for lunch and to leave early to pick me up !

" Don't you have to get back to lei making ? " I asked Johnathan as we were having such a leisurely lunch full of laughter .  " Oh, no. I will just tell my friend that tutu eats very slowly and that I had to wait. "  He told his friend that I am tutu ( grandmother ) , and that I was 70 years old and visiting Kalani. The rascal. When he dropped me off at Hilo Bay , he asked me to call him at 4:30 so that he could leave lei making. " I will tell my friend that tutu is tired from walking and shopping and I have to take her home ! "  Yes, as if . He's such a rascal. His friend would be surprised if he ever meets me to find out what ' tutu ' looks like ! Too funny !

On the way back to Kalani, he serenaded me with a beautiful Hawaiian song sung in English . " Hawaii is calling , calling me......."  He has such a great voice. Yes, he can raise the roof when he chants. When Johnathan does his Hawaiian chants , it comes from deep within him.  His chanting resonates through him and explodes with power and spirit . I love to hear him chanting.

Johnathan speaks somewhat in pidgin . I understand him totally but he was making fun of himself . He was telling me how no one understands him when he says budda . I know he means brother. So he says, " yes, you want budda ?  Would you like some brown sugar budda ,  honey on the budda ,  spread some budda on da bread ? "   So, people think he's talking about butter when he says budda. He had me in stitches. You have to also see him as he becomes very animated . Its not just the words . Its also the actions to the words as he speaks. Such an entertaining man and so very funny . 


Today , Dominic brought me some beautiful shells  in all sizes. There were some big ones that apparently are really hard to find. I have forgotten the name of the shell but the inside is like a delicacy for the Hawaiians. Life and limb is risked in getting these shells as apparently , these shells cling to the rocks that large waves come crashing upon. So, Dominic went over the weekend to get me these shells ...... Crandle told me that he broke a rib one time getting the shells . They both told me that if you sand the shell , every layer of sanding brings out a new colour , with each colour being pearly and iridescent . Iridescent  is my word to describe it as Crandle brought a ' finished ' product to show me today , knowing that Dominic was going to be giving me the shells. The colours range from pinks, browns, purples, greens , and oranges .  Maybe in a few weeks, when my hula Life settles down a bit , I will get Crandle and Dominic to help me sand the shells, revealing their beautiful hidden colours. Pearly shells. 


And so , I am still trying to work out my work schedule to go to Kona next weekend to perform and be part of the Royal Court......Wish me luck !  The kitchen schedule is rigid .I know scheduling can be a real challenge .  I have to let the Kitchen know 2 weeks in advance if I want any special days off.   Beth is trying to get me to switch to another volunteer department . I am thinking on this. Crap. There has been so many obstacles and challenges. 


Oh well. Focus focus focus . 


That reminds me of something that happened today when I was working at Hale Aloha .  Jym was getting off shift and was having a rough day . Shelly was replacing him . As Jym was heading out the doorway , he turned around to Shelly and me and started dancing . He did a beautiful pirouette , some kicks in the air with his long legs , big jazz hands dramatically flung up high while Shelly and I were laughing with delight. 


" Fosse Fosse Fosse !  "  said Shelly . It was funny and most entertaining .  Jym use to do musical theatre and I bet he was really good at it too !  Yes, Fosse Fosse Fosse ! 


With much aloha , 
x0x0x0x0x0
Molly











No comments:

Post a Comment