Tuesday 19 June 2012

Honouring the Old Ways of Hawaii

Aloha !

June,17th, 2012

Yesterday, ( June, 16th ) I was going to go to a  workshop called " Games For Writers And Social Creators." It was free for Kalani volunteers. Early in the morning , a guest had signed up for an all day excursion for Sunset Viewing of the Volcano at Volcanoes National Park . As a volunteer , I  get a
' preferred ' rate and it was too good to pass up so I went for the excursion iinstead. Boy , absolutely no regrets on this choice ! The excursion was amazing.  We were out from 2:00 to 10:00 p.m. , a long day indeed . Ehulani  was our guide.

Ehulani is Hawaiian and it was wonderful to be guided by a native born Hawaiian who has lived on the Big Island for 36 years. We went to  Akasuka Orchid Gardens where I saw a rare orchid that cost 20,000.00 . Yes, that's the right amount of zeros . Twenty grand.  Here's the link for you to see the orchid that is worth
20,000.00 !

http://www.akatsukaorchid.com/store/pg/7-About-Us.aspx.

When we arrived at Volcanoes National Park , it was misting rain . The temperature was cooler. I think it was the same temperature that Vancouver is currently  experiencing,  which would be about 17 Celsius.  We viewed the various craters , went to the steam vents , Jagger Museum , Thurtston Lava Tube , etc , etc. Basically what you see on the website below , I saw . .Volcanoes National Park is like a place out of prehistoric times. The jungle is dense with trees and ferns . There are ohia lehua trees everywhere , especially on the lava fields.   This picture on the following website ( beside ' SUMMIT '  ) was what I saw  at about 9:00 p.m. There was a huge reddish orange glow amidst a black sky.  It was awe inspiring . The temperature had dropped to about 10 Celsius ( 50 F ) and was very  windy. In 2006, the last time I was on the Big Island ,  I did the 5.5 hour hike across the lava fields.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava2.htm

Before we went back in the evening to see the glow of the volcano , Ehulani took us to the Pu'u Loa Petroglyph Trail , only , we did not go along a trail . Ehulani knew exactly where to go , and we followed her, single file.  We were walking so fast over the lava fields so that we would not be out there in complete darkness when we headed back. It was very uneven terrain. We did bring our flashlights .Here is the website to tell you more about the ancient petroglyphs . I felt so incredibly honoured and humbled as I stood looking at the pertroglyphs. Ehulani had picked some lehua blossoms along the way . And as we stood there , surrounded by the petroglyphs , she did a Hawaiian chant to Pele , to guide us and keep us save , with the lehua blossoms raised in offering to the sky , her head bowed  as she chanted . The sun was just setting . The  beautiful red tangerine sunset in sharp contrast to the black lava fields is freezed framed in my mind and my heart forever.   It was so very spiritual and sacred as Ehulani chanted.  I felt so very connected to the aina .
 ( the land......)

http://www.instanthawaii.com/cgi-bin/hawaii?Hikes.petroglyph


The petroglyphs were definitely the highlight of my trip thus far. The holes in the petroglyphs  were created in the lava rock to put a baby's piko ( umbilical cord ) in. Read about it on the website. It was /is an incredibly powerful spiritual place.

Ehulani is a kumu hula. I will be taking hula classes with her at Hawaiian Sanctuary . She has agreed for me to come as a visiting student !  Yay !!!!!  I know there will be bigger things to come !  She is so very full of ALOHA . She told me about Puna , Uncle Robert's son who recently passed away  from a massive heart attack . ( Uncle Roberts Kava Bar )  Puna's voice is as smooth as Izzy's .So beautiful . Listening to his music brought tears to my eyes. His ukelele playing was amazing too. She told me that over 1000 people came to Puna's memorial service and Puna's Celabration of Life lasted for more than 4 days , with Uncle Robert feeding 1000 people breakfast , lunch, dinner , at his own expense, for 4 days. This is the Hawaiian way .

Ehulani has also invited me to go to Kona at the end of June . I am praying that I can work out my stringent work schedule to go away for 4 days to Kona. Fingers and toes crossed as I know that will be a big hurdle . !  I want to go to Kona with Ehulani's  Halau !

With much aloha ,
x0x0x0x0x0
Molly









No comments:

Post a Comment