Sunday 24 June 2012

Arno , the Pig and the Donkey

Aloha !

I had such an amazing day today , but I will write about it on the next blog post. Tonight , when I sat down for dinner , Arno came and sat down beside me. He had already finished his dinner . He asked me about my day and I asked him about his. " I almost had a head on collision with a pig today, Molly ! " Arno said .

I started laughing . It was already funny without him going any further . " I was riding my bike , and I think I scared the pig , and the pig scared me . We didn't see each other and I think we were startled both at the same time. Well, instead of running away from me, I think the pig got confused  and he ran straight at me ! That really scared me ! I had to swerve so fast otherwise, I would have hit it for sure ! "  I could totally visual the whole scenario . We were all laughing hard.

" Oh, and another time , I  hit a donkey ! "  That really had me laughing . " A donkey ?  Where in the world did you hit a donkey ? "

" In Bonaire . I was riding my bike and it was really dark. There were no lights. All of a sudden , I see this stopped car with its headlights on. It blinded me .  I hit something and went flying over it. I had hit a donkey ! The jackass in the car had  stopped and was feeding a donkey from his car window. Good thing I was wearing my helmet ! I was badly scraped up but the donkey was fine ."

Oh, he had me in stitches. This one, I totally visualized second by nano second. I was laughing so hard I couldn't breathe . Arno rides his bike a lot. Someone told me he rides at least 30 miles a day . Riding his bike is a passion and he once rode the Tour de France route before it started. That would have been quite a thrill for someone who loves biking.  And yes, he did stay and watched the Tour de France !

This morning at breakfast , Arno asked Barcus  " May I have a piece of newspaper ?  "  Barcus started handing over the newspaper to Arno , and then took it back. He then tore a tiny corner piece of newspaper  about 2 inches big that had no print on it and gave it to Arno. Arno looked at it and handed it back to Barcus " I'm finished ! May I have another piece ?  "  Everyone laughed .  " Arno, didn't you need translation with that ? " I teased him .  He smiled . " No , I've become a very fast reader . I just demonstrated that ! "  He was such a great sport. Everyone was laughing .

I will miss Arno when he returns back to Bonaire . He told me that people drive around Bonaire without their headlights on in the dark , with the donkey experience being an exception to the rule.  That's really dangerous. " When I take a taxi , I have to pay the taxi driver extra to put his headlights on in the dark , Molly ! "  The things that most of us take for granted.......

I will truly miss all the laughter with Arno when he leaves in a few weeks.

With much aloha,
x0x0x0x0x0
Molly


No comments:

Post a Comment