Sunday 29 July 2012

July, 22nd , Going To Church In Hawaii

July,22nd, 2012

Aloha !

Today was a most eventful day . I went to Church.

I can'r remember the last time I attended a Church Service , with the exception of Daybreak Point Summer Camp where I was the Head Cook for about 5 years , and a cook there foe about another 3 years previous.

It happened so naturally , and was somewhat unplanned . I woke up this morning and was planning on going to Maku'u Market with Juanita's Mom Virginia , Juanita's sister Edie , along with Michelle and Karen. Michelle told us about a little church that she stumbled upon the previous Sunday. " Why don't we all go to Church ? " she said. We all thought that it was a great idea. We were all Christians . We were all curious in how a Church Service was done in Hawaii.

We were warmly greeted by the Congregation and were lei'd with hand made crocheted leis . It was so sweet.

The Church was so quaint . A tiny white painted church  with a steeple and church bells. There were probably about 14 pews , seven on each side , each pew seating  about five people each very comfortably. Oh, when the church bells rang when it was time for the 11:00 service , my heart sang too. Three Men walked into the Church , 2 with a ukelele , one with a guitar. They were older men and they were all barefeet. Gotta love being in Hawaii . As they got to the front of the Church , they started singing a song that I loved very much in my teens .

" I Want To Praise You , Lord "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FXP7hwATF8&feature=related

As the service started , I thumbed through the hymn book.  All the hymns were both in Hawaiian and English. We sang the hymns in Hawaiian . That was such a neat experience. It was all the old familiar favourites : Holy Holy Holy ,  What A  Friend We Have in Jesus, This is The Day , I Surrender All , How Great Thou Art , Just A Closer Walk With Thee , He Touched Me, Blessed Assurance , Amazing Grace , Jesus Loves Me, Onward Christian Soldiers ,  Give Me Oil In My Lamp . Thy Loving Kindness , Walking With Jesus , Seek Ye First The Kingdom Of God , and many more . 



There was a very elderly couple sitting behind us , both were in their 90's . One of the announcements was that any one who wanted to make their own ukelele have to sign up by the following day and pay 25.00 as they have to send for the ukelele kits to the Mainland and it would take about 3 weeks. The person making the announcement said that all ages are welcomed , from 6 years old to 99 years old ."  Even John can make one "  she said , directing her comment at the elderly man who is in his 90's  , sitting behind me . Dear John did not hear her . Everyone laughed.

We were the youngest in the Church's Congregation . Most were in their 60's , 70's , 80's and yes , as mentioned, their 90's. 

So, I have signed up to make my own ukelele with the Church on Sept, 7th /8th .  and we will learn to play it and also compose our own song ! :)  I am so looking forward to this !  I am making my own ukelele !!!!!!!!!  Yippppeeeeeeee !!!!!!! 

With much Aloha, 
x0x0x0x0x
Molly


















No comments:

Post a Comment