Tuesday 10 July 2012

I'm going on a lava trek !

Aloha !

I am really excited as I will be doing a lava trek this Thursday. We leave Kalani around 5:00 a.m.  Apparently we will be walking right alongside of the lava , so close that you can poke it ! Hmmmm, that sounds a bit dangerous . It is approximately a 2 hour trek in and the same coming out . I can hardly wait !

Arno left for Kona early this morning on his bicycle. He's one heck of a guy. Its gonna be some tough terrain that he will be riding through. I found his knife in my  mailbox this morning . That was very thoughtful of him.  I had told him yesterday about needing a knife to make deep cuts into the hau branches so that I could strip the bark. He told me that he would lend me his knife and we both kinda forgot about it .

Arno had wrapped his knife with different small pieces of paper just enough to cover it and disguise it so that it wouldn't be taken. He had wrapped a note inside . " Molly, the knife is very sharp . Ask Clint how to use it . "  That's sweet of him .  I work with knives almost every day in the kitchen.  I will be using Arno's knife tomorrow to finish stripping the bark of the hau branches.  I know Arno will have a challenging and an amazing bicycle trip to Kona and back !  He will be gone for 4 days .

Sami , the Head Honcho and one of the Kitchen Managers said to me a few days ago , " Molly, can you stay at Kalani forever ? "  She was all excited when I told her that Kumu was tempting me to stay longer so that I can perform in Volcanoes National Park. Kumu said yesterday that there will be an upcoming performance on July 28th and also one on Aug, 15th . The big one is on Sept . I will see. Kalani is tempting me to stay too as the cost will only be 400.00 / month . So very tempting.

Well, last night , when I was at Hula class , we were all sitting around in a circle , practicing all the chants. Kuani was also passing around the West Hawaii Newspaper . Both he and I are on the front page of the newspaper dated July, 2nd.  They had taken a photo of us making the ti- leaf sandals at Puuhonua O Honaunau . Isn't that something ? Being on the front page of a Hawaiian Newspaper.

At breakfast this morning, I asked Crandle where I can get a copy  and I told him that i was on the front page. " Oh, that's a second city newspaper. "  I hit him in the arm and he starts laughing.  It is Kona's newspaper. The newspaper that the men read at breakfast is the Hawaii Tribune Herald which is a Hilo newspaper.

" You may be famous in Kona, Molly , but you're just Molly here ! "  Barcus chimes in. " I only want to be just Molly ! "  I smiled . The men were all teasing me.

Andre was talking about going to an art class this morning. " There's no art class today " said Johnathan looking at the board that posts all the classes/events of the day . " Its an extra class besides the Figure Drawing class on Saturday. Its not a posted class . You will be painting nudes today, Andre. You can sketch if you want , but today is focused on long poses and painting instead of sketching "  I responded.

" Oh, you are going to paint naked people ! "  Johnathan laughs.  " No, not naked people , nudes. There's a difference. In Art School , we call them nude , not naked . "  Andre said.  " What's the difference ? "  Emily asked.

" The difference is intention . Naked versus nude. When one is naked , there is intention implied. "

Ah, food for thought.    Intention.     I told Johnathan that when I draw nudes, it is very clinical for me. There is no sexual attraction whatsoever. I study the lines, shapes , curves, angles . I love bone structure. The human body is beautiful , in all shapes and sizes. Its a marvel how we are put together .

" We should hang this weekend ! " Johnathan said to me.  " Go for lunch ,  go holoholo ! "

" Juanita wants to do something with me . You are welcome to come ! We plan to go to  Maunakea to see the observatory and to watch the sunset . "  That is the plan and its all subject to change without notice. The challenge will be getting a car that has 4 wheel drive. I spent a crazy Sunday last week with Marianne . I went into Hilo with Marrianne last Sunday and we laughed ourselves silly the whole time . I said to Marrianne that she needs to keep her eyes open to see the road that she is driving . She was laughing so much that her eyes were barely open. She had me laughing  when she pulled out a teeny tiny roller to roll her cigarette . I didn't know that they make those. I mean, its not hard to roll a cigarette as I have done a few, although I do not smoke.   I roll coin at the Bank , and its the same principle/ procedure.  The roller that Marianne used is a smaller version of a coin roller. " Can you use an open book ? "  I asked her.  Marianne has been smoking for years. It is less expensive to roll your own versus packs of cigarettes. She has found that since she started rolling her own , she has smoked less. Good for her !

When Barcus was heading out for the day from breakfast, he reached over to me and started pawing me and touching my hands. " Oh, oh , I can't believe that I am touching you ! You are so famous ! I'm touching Molly, the star ! "  I slapped his hand and we were all laughing . Johnathan puts his arms around me " Oh , I'm touching Molly, the star ! Can I have your autograph ?  " And Crandle chimes in  laughing , in the background  " Its a second city newspaper. "

All in good fun.

With much Aloha,
x0x0x0x0
Molly








No comments:

Post a Comment