Friday 6 July 2012

Gnin Rom Doog


Aloha !

As I sat down for breakfast  today , I heard Crandle calling my name,  " Molly Molly Molly ! "  He likes to say my name three times. " Gnin Rom Doog  " he says to me .  I looked at Crandle. " Is that Hawaiian ? It doesn't sound Hawaiian. " Crandle looked at me as if he was surprised that I didn't know what he was saying .  " Gnin Rom Doog "  he said again . " Translate. I have no idea what you are saying or what that means. "  " Don't you know ? "  " Should I ?  "  " You say it all the time ."  " I don't think so. I would know.  "

By now, I could see Crandle bursting with delight , wanting to tell me what I should know but don't know and what he was saying to me should be so obvious.

" Its good morning spelled backwards ! "  he says with glee .

I responded by looking off into space, visually spelling out good morning backwards . Barcus starts laughing and said, " I think Molly's going to be thinking about this one all day ! " Yes, as if. They think they are so witty  , these older boys. " No. I was just thinking about how Crandle's brain works . I won't even ask if he thought this all up by himself. "

Bud the Barbarian , as he calls himself , walks by. Bud doesn't want to be called a gentleman , he wants to be called a barbarian. He was delighted when I told him that I will call him Bud the Barbarian. " Crandle , say to Bud what you just said to me. "  So Crandle says ' Gnin Rom Doog  ' to Bud. Bud too, looks blankly at Crandle. Bud is also known as a walking encyclopedia . Crandle explains. " Yeah, yeah, whatever " responds Bud and changing the subject.

Arno is planniing to go to Kona on his bike next weekend. By bike, I mean bicycle.  It is a 3 hour drive by car over some challenging terrain and parts of it is simular to the Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler  in British Columbia. I told Arno about the Manago Hotel where I stayed . The Manago Hotel was built in 1917 and it remains within the Manago family still  . " That's the year I was born ! " Arno said when I told him. Everyone laughed. " I said 1917 , not 1970 ! 1917 is closer to when your Dad was born, Arno ! "  Arno's Dad turned 90 this year. It will be a most challenging bicycle ride indeed . Arno wants absolutely no weigh on his bike when he rides and plans to Fedex a change of clothing to the Hotel. I will update you as to how long it takes Arno to ride to Kona from Kalani once he does his Tour de Hawaii  next weekend   Hopefully, he won't run into a pig ! Or worse yet, a donkey ! 

Tonight, as I sat down for dinner , I said to Crandle , " So, what is good evening backwards ?  Have you thought about that ?  "  Crandle went into deep thought and I laughed.  No, he hasn't thought of that yet.

With much Aloha,
x0x0x0x0
Molly




No comments:

Post a Comment