Wednesday 19 September 2012

Bud

Aloha !

Its my second to last day here in Hawai'i .I leave tomorrow  I can't believe that time has gone by so quickly.  This morning I was going to go into Hilo at 7:30 a.m. to get some last minute gifts but the person I was going to go with  left early. She didn't know I was going to go . One of the persons that was suppose to go ( that told me to be at Guest Services at 7:30 and I will get a ride ) also ended up working  and I didn't know anything about that. I was surprised to see her working when I went up for an early breakfast . This is the way it is at Kalani . Things are loosy goosy around here , time wise. Plans are made and talked about and sometimes never happens. If you really want something, you have to make it happen yourself.  The only thing that is for sure are the meals being served on time . That is always a given .

Yesterday, at breakfast ( or was it lunch ? )  I sat down with Bud. Bud is so very funny . I am always in stitches when I am around him. He loves teasing me too.

We were talking about how loud the coqui frogs were . Bud said that he didn't  hear them anymore, he is accustom to their evening song. He started telling us at the table " You should hear the howler monkeys  ! In Brazil , when you hear these howler monkeys, you'd think a murder was going on . Someone is getting murdered or about to get murdered. Such lawlessness in the jungle.  Actually, you would want to murder them if you hear them, they're so loud and obnoxious . They just don't stop for hours.  You would love the sound of the Coquis if you ever experienced the sound of the howler monkeys ! "

Every time I see Bud , I always know that I will enjoy my conversations with him immensely. I always learn something new ,and I always laugh myself silly because he is so very funny , in a most  intelligent and dry way.  I think he enjoys the fact that I appreciate him too and that no matter what he is talking about or a quick wit that he slips into the conversation , I fully understand and also have a curiosity to learn and know more.  I ' git ' it !

I told him that I was leaving and the first thing he said to me was " When are you coming back ? "  Yes, they all feel that I will be coming back. Kumu  was the first one that directly said to me "  I know you will come back. "

I have yet to see Bud's paintings . I hear that he paints on very large surfaces. He apparently makes beautiful lace too. I would love to see his art.  He lives in his own home nearby that has no electricity . I think he mentioned that he has 18 cats, give or take  His arms are covered in colourful tattoos and so is most of his body.

His raspy voice has a slight hint of sarcasm when he speaks . Often in my conversations with him , I would simply raise my eyebrows in amusement , with my lips slightly curled upward  , sometimes gently biting my lip to keep from bursting out into laughter.

He teases me about being Canadian all the time and threatens to call Homeland Security about me, that  I am hiding out in the U.S. of  A.  " I can stay here for 6 months, Bud . No questions asked. I'm legal  "  I would remind him.  In fact here at Kalani , I get teased all the time about being Canadian. Chef  Marianna  would say to me  when she is asking me to do something  " Do they do this in Canada ? "  I would laugh and say " Speak more slowly and more louder please. I'm not sure I understand your question ! "  And the whole kitchen will all be laughing.

Bud really thought I was Hawaiian. Ha ! I fooled him with that one. He looked at me one day and asked , ' Are you a local? You must be from Oahu and not from around here. You speak too well  , sound educated , to be from around here. You don't speak pidgin . "  He didn't believe me when I told him that I was not Hawaiian. He told me stories about San Francisco China town where he also lived when he found out that I was Chinese. His Mom was a Canadian , born in Kimberley B.C. "  You are definitely B.C . !  " Barcus laughed, overhearing our conversation . We all laughed .  B.C. also means before Christ. Bud is an older gentleman. But wait ! He asked not to be called a gentleman. He wants to me called ' Bud the barbarian ! "
" Back in the day , there really wasn't a Canadian , U.S. border between Washington State and B.C. Not like how it is now.  " Bud said.  " We all came and went as we pleased , Canadians, Americans. "  

Bud really is a walking encyclopedia . Its beyond being an encyclopedia . He is extremely intelligent , probably one of the most intelligent people I have ever met .  But, he is also down to earth with a great sense of humour.  It is way better to ask Bud if you want to learn about something than to google it . It is so much more entertaining , being educated by Bud with his raspy voice.

This morning, he cam up to the Loft and I heard his voice. " Where's Molly's room ?  Is she here ?   "  Jeanine tells him. I hear a loud knock on my door. " Aloha ! Who is it ? " as I walked to my door.

And there stands Bud. What a nice surprise !  " oh good ! i caught you before you left ! I have something for you ! "  Bud hand me a necklace. " Its a Tibetan Buddhist prayer bead mala . Its high end . I thought you would like this . "

Wow ! What an amazing beautiful gift. The prayer meditation  mala  is made of  various shades of smooth  green beads made of jade . At the end of the mala are other precious stones ( yellow and red ) . At the end of the mala  is a red tassle that feels like horse hair.  It is really beautiful . The beads are so smooth and cool to the touch . Delicate, consistent in shape and yet repetiously grounding . A  soft gentle direct intent focus , in this space, in this very present moment.  Remembrance to appreciate the here and the now . Living in the moment. Appreciation..... Gratitude...... Peace...... Love........ .

Bud would be one of the compelling reasons that I would return to the Big Island.

Bud is a true precious treasure to all mankind. A hidden treasure on the Big island of Hawaii who is definitely off the grid.  I am so blessed and fortunate to have met Bud.

World , this Bud's for you !  Cherish him !

x0x0x0x0x0
With much Aloha,
Molly











No comments:

Post a Comment