Friday 7 September 2012

A Lesson in Patience , a Dance with Hemp Rope

Aloha !

I am so happy happy happy !  Its after 10:00 p.m..  I worked the afternoon shift in the Kitchen today ,got off at 8:00 from the Kitchen , showered , and started braiding . I just finished braiding 6 yards of braided hemp string .  Hallelujah !  I am so happy happy happy !  Do you have any idea how long six yards is and how hard it is braid one long continuous braid , using 6 strands of hemp string ? Every time you fold over a plait, the strings get twisted.  All my Loft ladies that I live with watched me in fascination . I had to wind each double strand into a loose ball and put a hair elastic around it so it would not fall apart . I didn't have any elastic bands and my hair elastics worked alright There was a big hook on a wooden beam in the Loft and I wound the first initial inches of braided hemp rope around the hook to anchor it and away I went , braiding , and stepping back as the braid got longer and longer , patiently unwinding the twisted strings , dancing in spirals around me as I braid . " I think the Universe is trying to tell me something. This definitely is a Lesson in Patience ! "  I said to my friends in the Loft. They all laughed. The string will get twisted together , and slowly , patiently, I untwisted each spiraling dancing string . I had to wear gardening gloves as the hemp string is very thick and coarse. It would have chewed my hands up for sure .

This 6 yards of hemp braid will be used for tying each lauhala leaf onto a waistband that I have already braided last week. The waistband was made out of 9 strands of hemp string braided together.  That was a challenge too .

Jonathan will be helping me tomorrow to tie all the Lauhala leaves onto the waistband with the 6 yards of braided hemp that I just made. I am grateful that Jonathan is helping me. After the leaves are tied on , one by one , I will have to trim them to the right length .. Thank goodness that it only involves cutting it  approximately 10 inches from the ground when I wear it.  No sewing, just cutting. However, that being said , once it has been ' hemmed ' I will have to iron each leaf , one by one, on both sides to make them flat. The leaves are amazingly strong . I have already cut strips from a few of the the leaves to make my wrist and ankle leis.

I am so very happy that this part is done. Truly a Lesson in Patience .

Off to bed I go. I have a busy day tomorrow . After breakfast, Jonathan will help me with my Lauhala Hula Skirt and then in the early afternoon , I am off to Hilo to make my own ukelele !


With much aloha ,
x0x0x0x0
Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment