Friday 24 August 2012

Luau , Volcano Trip, And Joel the Hugbot

Aloha !

The last few days have been really hot here on the Big Island of  Hawaii . The heat just zaps the energy out of me and all I want to do is take a nap in a hammock. " The dog days of summer "  someone said to me today .

Joel left for Burning Man this morning . I took his picture before he left. I told him that I wanted to take a before and after picture . He is going to have a  complete makeover when he is at Burning Man .Burning Man takes place in Black Rock Desert, Nevada every year. Joel said ," I 'm gonna tell them ' today I woke uip, looked in the mirror , and I saw a hippie ! I need a makeover please, do as you please ! ' "  Joel ' s hair is long, well past his shoulders . And then, there's also a long scruffy  beard . It makes him look much older than his 41 years. I told him if he wants to be radical , get a wall street look . He laughed. " What if they give you a spiky mohawk ? " " I'm o.k. with that " he replied. " But that's high maintenance . You will have to gel it to get it to stay stiff. That would be way too fussy for you . "

It was really funny as I did bring my camera to breakfast . While waiting to get served in line , I turned around and there was Joel standing behind me, wearing  a one piece skin tight  silver suit that completely covers him from head to toe . It is so tight that you can see his glasses poking out , creating an interesting frame for his face. And, as Malcolm said, " Its so tight that you can see all his junk. "  It true. We all wondered if Joel could see this , that his genitals were clearly defined fully in this suit. No subject to interpretation there. Joel is going as a ' hugbot '. In fact, he has written hugbot  in small letters on the top right side of his suit. He plans to go around Burning Man giving hugs. Someone said " I mean, would you let you kid get hugged by a man in a skin tight suit that shows all his junk ? "  But , apparently, anything goes at Burning Man .

Now, I back track and write down the things that has transpired in the last week . Last Saturday ( August 18th )  I performed at a Luau to celebrate Volcanoes National Park Observatory's 100th Anniversary. I spent the morning of the Luau making my leis from  freshly picked ti leaves . Beth went with me in the morning to pick plumeria blossoms . We picked a small bucket full of plumeria blossoms. The plumeria blossoms were to be put into clusters for the dancers to wear on our hair when we do the auana . ( modern hula dances ) They were also for making leis for the men .

The luau was manic and fun. There were a few tense moments as we were getting dressed to do the kahiko ( ancient hula ) portion of the performance . When we did the second part of the performance and the ladies all changed into sarongs , we were all more relaxed . I wasn't that hungry so I did not end up eating much of the luau food . So, now, I have a Luau performance in Hawaii under my belt ! :)


The day before the Luau , I went on a staff trip to Volcanoes National Park   We hiked the Kilauea Iki trail . It was a beautitful hike . There is a lovely Gallery next to the Visitor's Centre .  We also went to Jaggar Museum and at the Kilauea Caldera Overlook , we could see the smoke coming out of Halema' uma' u crater.  I was told that when we perform at the Volcano on Sept, 15th, ( my last  dance performance in Hawaii )  the stage is facing Halema' uma'u . Halema' uma'u is believed to be Pele's home. There is definitely great energy that emanates from the Land ...............all surrounding .

On this trip , we also went to see Thurston Lava Tube and the petroglyphs  When we arrives at a beautiful spot to see a sea arch , I said to Michael " Do I have to walk down with you guys ? Can I just stay here and wait for you? This place is so beautiful . I just want to stand here and watch the ocean. "  I though the group was heading for the washrooms and I didn't want to walk with them and wait .

" Molly , this is Holei . "  Michael said smiling. " you know, the song " O Kalapana....."   "  Really ?   I love that song ! I am doing a hula at a Luau to that song tomorrow ! Wow !  This gives it even more meaning when I dance tomorrow !  "   Oh, Holei is so beautiful . Holei , the place, is so beautiful , and Holei , the song and hula, is also so beautiful. On an earlier blog , I attached a link to the song ' Holei ."

Here it is , " Holei. "  This one is different from the one previous.  It is a beautiful hula. The ukelele and guitar paying is awesome .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn5h7vgSilU

Here is another two versions to the same song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmVGxgMPk9Q


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_vQX7pX7Dg


And, last but not least, this is the best one of all ! I can't believe I just found this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Literally just found it right this moment . This is the one I am dancing to !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6JhWFDIv4o


" Holei is my favourite hula. The connection of being right there in Holei and also dancing to the song makes it so very special and meaningful to me.

We saw the Sea Arch in Holei and walked down further and saw where the lava covered the road in Kalapana .........

Tomorrow, I am gathering brown fallen hala leaves to make my lahala hula skirt. It will be a lot of work and I have 3 weeks before the dance performance. I have also braided the waistband that the hala leaves will be attached to . Fun. While I am not trying to manifest injury by speaking of its possibility , I can foresee that there will be a few . The hala  leaves have sharp spikes along the edges  I just discovered that there are also tiny sharp spikes along the spine of the long leaves. Oh fun. I have to strip it all . Oh fun . On Saturday, I will be given a lesson on making the lahala  hula skirt.  I have to make it as that will be what I am wearing for the performance on Sept, 15th !

O.k. I am caught up for now !  Kind of ! Little Ariya brought me a beautiful shell from the beach yesterday.
He gives my great joy.

With much Aloha,
x0x0x0x0x0
Molly





.

No comments:

Post a Comment